Buy Local and Support Local Farmers ….. It’s the Season of “Fresh Everything”
June through September is the height of our growing season, which means “fresh everything” at the Wenatchee Valley Farmers Market, open every Saturday from 8:00am to 1:00pm and every Thursday from 3:00pm to 7:00pm. Here’s 5 reasons to buy local and support your Farmers Market:
1. The Food is More Fresh. Food sourced from our local farmers and sold in the Farmers Market is harvested, picked or grown more recently than the food that’s shipped and stored at your supermarket. Farmers Market produce is picked when ready, as opposed to being picked when they are under-ripe and trucked hundreds of miles to a grocery store.
2. The Food has more Nutrients. In terms of nutrients, locally grown food is more nutrient-dense, because time and travel can cause nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin E and folic acid to oxidize in the air, as they are more sensitive to light and heat.
3. It’s More Eco-Friendly. It takes less energy for your local farmer to deliver his wares to the Farmers Market than it does for produce, meat and other food to be trucked in from around the country.
4. It Helps Your Local Economy. Buying from a local farmer supports local business, directly impacts a local farming family, and it ensures the livelihood and continuation of NCW farms. It also generates local tax dollars.
5. It’s More Neighborly. The Farmers Market is a great community events, a place to meet your friends and neighbors. And besides, what could be more neighborly than getting to know your local area farmers who help feed your family. These farmers know their stuff – they know the land and their wares, and there’s a good chance they have a favorite recipe which uses their favorite product.
For more information about the Wenatchee Valley Farmers Market, see: http://wenatcheefarmersmarket.com