June through September is the height of our growing season, which means “fresh everything” at the Wenatchee Valley Farmers Market, open every Saturday from 8:00am to 1:00pm and every Thursday from 3:00pm to 7:00pm. Here’s 5 reasons to buy local and support your Farmers Market:
1. The Food is More Fresh. Food sourced from our local farmers and sold in the Farmers Market is harvested, picked or grown more recently than the food that’s shipped and stored at your supermarket. Farmers Market produce is picked when ready, as opposed to being picked when they are under-ripe and trucked hundreds of miles to a grocery store.
2. The Food has more Nutrients. In terms of nutrients, locally grown food is more nutrient-dense, because time and travel can cause nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin E and folic acid to oxidize in the air, as they are more sensitive to light and heat.
3. It’s More Eco-Friendly. It takes less energy for your local farmer to deliver his wares to the Farmers Market than it does for produce, meat and other food to be trucked in from around the country.
4. It Helps Your Local Economy. Buying from a local farmer supports local business, directly impacts a local farming family, and it ensures the livelihood and continuation of NCW farms. It also generates local tax dollars.
5. It’s More Neighborly. The Farmers Market is a great community events, a place to meet your friends and neighbors. And besides, what could be more neighborly than getting to know your local area farmers who help feed your family. These farmers know their stuff – they know the land and their wares, and there’s a good chance they have a favorite recipe which uses their favorite product.
For more information about the Wenatchee Valley Farmers Market, see: http://wenatcheefarmersmarket.com
14 May 2017
Trip Advisor is a popular restaurant, motel and travel online review site, used by many people as a guide for places to visit. Under the heading “Things to Do In Wenatchee,” Pybus Market is ranked #2; under the heading “Food and Drink,” Pybus Market is ranked #1. And people who do visit us seem to like the experience. Our reviews on Trip Advisor have been vey favorable: 85% of our 177 visitor ratings rank Pybus Market as either “Excellent” or “Very Good.” Here are three recent examples:
“Charming Market with Good Eateries”
“This is similar to Pike place market in Seattle, but without the crazy crowds. We went there later in the day, when it was even less crowded, and it was nice to be able to walk around and look at things. They have some nice restaurants and cute stores.” Visited April 2017, New Delhi, India
“Go to go here when you visit Wenatchee”
“Neat little market close to the Columbia River. You can rent bikes to take on the trails, find tasty local food, gaze at the river and shop in a few of the small shops. It is a covered market so accessible all year around. There is also a nice little drive/walk up coffee stand located just outside the market.” Visited April 2017, Olympia Washington
“Who would have known?”
“Most travelers bypass downtown Wenatchee on their way from more touristy things. B(ut) downtown has a wonderful stock of old art deco buildings and thriving businesses … The Public Market was most surprising: a mini-version of Seattle’s Pike Place in a former steel products plant. Great for foodies, a bite to eat, and local products.” Visited May 2017, Seattle, Washington
Thank you, visitors, to our wonderful community. We are proud to call the Wenatchee valley our home and we pledge to work heard to continue to earn your high praise.
08 May 2017
Some of the best BBQ pitmasters — both professional and amateur — in the Pacific Northwest will compete for cash and prizes …. while the public gets to sample some of the cooking at the 3rd Annual “Coastal” Eastern Washington BBQ Championships this Saturday and Sunday, May 13 and 14. Eighteen (18) competitors are expected for this two-day event at Pybus Market.
Samples of the BBQ cost $1.00 per cup. New this year is the East Wenatchee Rotary Club, which will have their own BBQ food sales station both Saturday and Sunday, ensuring that there will be adequate BBQ samples for the public to enjoy.
A schedule of events can be found here:
“Coastal is very excited to be the Presenting Sponsor of the 3rd Annual Eastern Washington BBQ Championship this year at Pybus Market,” said Tammy Cockrill, Coastal Store Manager. “It’s a great community event, fun for the entire family, with the opportunity to sample some of the best barbecue in the Pacific Northwest. My Coastal Team is looking forward to being on hand and visiting with everyone while enjoying the smells of good BBQ,” Cockrill added.
The two-day BBQ compeition involves teams from throughhout the Pacific Northwest and is sanctioned by the Pacific Northwest Barbeque Association (PNWBA). For additional information, contact Diane Mee from the PNWBA at 425-205-0309.
The BBQ competition coincides with the opening of the Wenatchee Valley Farmers Market on Saturday, May 13 from 8am to 1pm in the west parking lot of Pybus. For information about the Farmers Market, see: http://wenatcheefarmersmarket.com
22 Mar 2017
We often get compliments about the number of events and activities we have going at Pybus Market. With that also comes the frequent question: “How do we stay in touch with all you have going on?” The answer is several ways:
Our web site, http://www.pybuspublicmarket.org, receives about 15,000 page views a month from ~5,000 viewers. Watch our events calendar for the latest in activities and events: http://www.pybuspublicmarket.org/events/
Facebook is another great option to stay in touch. We have ~13,800 people who have Liked us: https://www.facebook.com/PybusPublicMarket
About every two to three weeks, we send out an e-newsletter to about ~4,00 subscribers. You can sign up to receive our e-newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/WJUob
About 4,300 of you Follow us on Instagram, where we post a news item or photo almost daily. Download the Instagram app for your phone and search for Pybus Public Market. #pybus or #pybusmarket or #pybuspublicmarket
You can always email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our office phone number is 509-888-3900.
And if you’ll keep a secret, the executive director’s mobile number is 509-679-7143.
Pybus Market is a community treasure and our obligation is to be accessible to the public. We hope we are.
Pybus Market is conducting a poster contest among artists who are residents of Chelan, Douglas, Okanogan and Grant counties. The winning entry will become the official poster for Pybus Market during its 2017-18 season.
Submitted artwork must portray the spirit of Pybus Market in a painted or drawn medium. Submissions are due by June 1, 2017. One winner will be selected and announced at an unveiling party on June 7, 2017 at 12:00 pm. Winning artist will receive $200.00, 25 free prints, and a one week display of his or her artwork in the main concourse of Pybus Market. The artist also agrees to donate the original artwork to Pybus Market. Second prize will be $50.00.
Pybus Market expects to sell a limited edition of the winning poster for its 2017-18 season. The winning entry will be chosen by the Pybus Market Art Committee.
For questions, please contact Jacobi Schall at 509-888-3900 or e-mail email@example.com.
Poster Contest Rules 2017: The Spirit of Pybus
- The contest is open to residents age 16 and over of Chelan, Douglas, Grant and Okanogan counties.
- Artwork must portray the “Spirit of Pybus Market”.
- Artwork must be an original, unpublished work.
- Artwork may be in a painted or drawn medium. Entries may be drawn, painted or sketched using pens, pencils, crayons or charcoal, oil, acrylic or watercolor paint. No photography or computer enhanced or computer animated work, please.
- Artwork should be suitable for a finished poster approx. 14″ x 22″ in size (portrait orientation, not landscape) with room at the bottom for sponsor logos and Pybus Market contact information. The name “Pybus Market” may be incorporated into the design or placed at the bottom of the poster.
- Submit artwork in digital PDF format to Pybus Market, via disk or e-mail, by June 1, 2017, along with name, address, phone number, email address and short bio/resume.
- Entries are due June 1, 2017 and the winner will be announced on June 7, 2017 at an unveiling party.
- Winning artist will receive $200.00, 25 free prints and a one week display of his or her artwork in the main concourse of Pybus Market. Second place will receive $50.00.
- Pybus Market will retain ownership of the original. Pybus Market may reproduce, sell or re-use copies of the artwork in perpetuity in conjunction with its marketing plans in its total discretion.